Search the Happy Baker blog:

Thursday, March 3, 2011

German Chocolate Cake Pops

Well hellooooo there. This is, by far, the most-Googled recipe on my entire blog. And you know what? For good reason. These things are ridiculously, amazingly, obnxiously delicious. I'm pretty sure they might be the debbil.

It was my hubby's 38th birthday party this past Sunday, and I asked if there was something specific he wanted me to make for the occasion. He chose one of his favorite desserts--german chocolate cake.

While definitely a delicious cake, I wondered if there was a better way to make it accessible to a large crowd. After all, who wants to spend the whole party standing by a cake, slicing pieces for everyone? Not me. I gotsta get my party on!



So I decided to make them into cakeballs. Cute, festive, and hell--who doesn't love a cakeball?

[post-party edit: These things disappeared like congressmen during a drug bust. I could not keep them on the plate as fast as people were eating them!]


This post doesn't have a recipe, since it's just a variation of the cakeballs I've already made.
If you are not familiar with a basic cakeball how-to or the basic recipe, check out my earlier post here. It has step-by-step photos and everything.

I used:
- german chocolate cake mix
- coconut pecan frosting
- dark chocolate candy coating
- toasted coconut that I swirled in the food processor

I have to say--they were the best cake balls I've ever made. The crispiness of the coconut next to the creamy cake truffle... it was decadent. Absolutely sinful.







7 comments:

  1. You are hilarious!! I love this recipe. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog :)

    Question - how many cake pops did you make for how many guests and how long did it take? :) If they weren't gobbled up so fast, how long do you think they would last in the fridge (or stored in a cool dark place?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a German chocolate cake mix thsat comes with the traditional German chocolate icing. What do you think about using that instead of frosting to make the ball?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wit. I think I understand that you used the traditional icing. If so, please disregard. If not, feel free to respond at your convenience. Thanks! I really appreciate you sharing your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were delish! I made Martha Stewart's German Chocolate cupcakes (for my hubby's 38th birthday!), but they stuck in my silicone pans. I googled German Chocolate cakepops and found your blog; used canned coconut pecan frosting, et voila! Hands down the best cakepops I've had yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about.. ar cake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Helpful information for the general public, If you're interested an online cake decorating tutorials then visit us:
    cake decorating blog
    Cake Decorating

    ReplyDelete

Send me a comment! I love to hear what you have to say!